-
March 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Anybody here have any experience with "WAVE" products?
Here's a some info from their MaxxBass literature, "MaxxBass is an exclusive Waves process that delivers rich, deep bass from virtually any speaker. Using the psycho-acoustic phenomenon of the missing fundamental, MaxxBass combines precise harmonics to extend perceived bass by up to 1.5 octaves, while protecting speakers and amplifiers from overload".
Wave's home page, http://www.waves.com/
Hardware that I'd like to play with,
1. http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=172
2. http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=173
Hardware line up, http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=92
I went to a National Sound Contractor's show in 1995, Altec had a booth there where they had a small box loaded with a 604. It had the most amazing low end from a small box. They were using a devise that "enhanced" the lows. I think the processor was the Altec 1902-A AcoustaMATE Signal Processor. I wonder if the Wave products are about the same thing or works the same way? Here's two links showing the Altec catalog with some speakers and the AcoustaMATE. http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-39.JPG
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-38.JPG
I've seen several synthesizers that would add lows to a signal by reading the source and synthesize additional low notes that would mixed with the original signal (down stream so there wouldn't be a "loop") to give extra low frequencies that weren't in the original signal. I wonder how each one did it? The MaxxBass has similar controls as some of the others I've seen over the years. They use different names on the control knobs but, a rose is a rose etc. I wonder if they're all about the same?
-
March 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
We get into a phenomenon known as Psycoacoustics.
I've seen a number of these devices. Many of them add PERCIEVED bass, not actual measured bass. They trick the ear into hearing more.
I make no value judements either way. it's a science whose surface has just been scratched.
-
March 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I have been looking for a way to add lows to my model 19's Perhaps this will do the trick. As they came from the factory, the 19's frequency response is pretty good to about 30hz. Perhaps this will give them the extra umph I'm looking for. Then again, if it can't be measured, it can't be felt (am I wrong?). I like the feeling.
-
March 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I have been looking for a way to add lows to my model 19's Perhaps this will do the trick. As they came from the factory, the 19's frequency response is pretty good to about 30hz. Perhaps this will give them the extra umph I'm looking for. Then again, if it can't be measured, it can't be felt (am I wrong?). I like the feeling.
-
March 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
#5
Inactive Member
OOPs I stuttered. As long as I'm here.
I can see where these Psycoacoustic gizmos would be great for headphone, telephones and small computer type speakers, but for HiFi, HT, Theatre SR and critical listening, I think they may be lacking. If I can get my hands on one and play with it, I'll know first hand.
-
March 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM
#6
Inactive Member
OOPs I stuttered. As long as I'm here.
I can see where these Psycoacoustic gizmos would be great for headphone, telephones and small computer type speakers, but for HiFi, HT, Theatre SR and critical listening, I think they may be lacking. If I can get my hands on one and play with it, I'll know first hand.
-
March 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
The missing fundamental, not exactly a new concept. The trick is to reproduce the even harmonics of the tone you want people to perceive. Many (but not all) people will fill in the blank. The idea is positively ancient. I cannot believe the patent office would grant for something this old. Hopefully their proposed patent application wiki will stop things like this from happening in the future.
Anyway?.as far as bass from the 19?s is concerned, play around with a modeling program and you?ll see that Altec used a psychoacoustic trick too. AKAIK, the bass level rises to about 50 Hz and falls off pretty quickly below that. The BBC did the same thing with the LS35A, it gives the impression of deeper bass than is really present.
The guys who designed the 19 knew what they were doing. I wonder if they didn?t limit the bottom end in part because they needed the woofer to work well to 2400 Hz. (at least an octave above XO). The woofer is capable of 35Hz F3 in a conventional max flat alignment but who knows what the mids would sound modulated with the extended lower frequencies. My bet is worse as some pretty savvy engineers decided it was better the way they ended up doing it.
Assuming (big assumption) that this is the reason they went the way they did with the tuning, a good sub is probably a better option. You can get serious extension these days if you are of such a mind. Personally, I don?t see the point for home use because most recorded music wasn?t mixed on speakers capable of that type of LF reproduction.
-
March 10th, 2007, 12:35 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
I tried the Aphex big bottom aural exciter.
I was impressed.
Their site is down for now but you might want to read on it. This unit is over 30 years old and still selling today.
http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...&f=3729&t=2634
.................................
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks